1/1 Photo of Belgian Stoemp Aux Carottes (Carrot Mashed Potatoes)
This is a popular side dish in Belgium. It usually goes with blood sausage (boudin) or strips of bacon, but I often serve it with sautéed chicken. Go easy on the cream, you want it to have more substance than smooth mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a small skillet over high heat.
- 2Add the bacon and sauté for 5 minutes until the bacon bits are well colored.
- 3Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 5Add potatoes and carrots.
- 6Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are well done or even slightly overdone (they will be easier to mash).
- 7Drain the vegetables and place them in a salad bowl.
- 8Mash the vegetables with a fork, a potato masher or any other manual ustensil. It is important not to use an electric mixer so that the texture remains chunky enough.
- 9Add the bacon bits and let the diced pieces of butter melt on top of the mashed vegetables.
- 10Add cream and nutmeg.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
- 12Toss well and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Belgian Stoemp Aux Carottes (Carrot Mashed Potatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.9
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 77.6 mg
- Sodium 653.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g