Recipe by twissis
This recipe has been posted for ZWT II & my source is www.recipes4us.co.uk/Desserts%20and%20Puddings/Belgian%20Plum%20Flan. This recipe wasn't very "Post Your Recipe" friendly as it expressed everything in both metric & US measurements, so I had to make a choice again (Time does not include cooling time)
Top Review by katia
A very classy dessert. I wasn't so easy preparing it because I was afraid if the creme parissiere! Not anymore!!! This is a keeper creme. So elegant! I 'm thinking of using it again on fresh fruit tarts!!! It was the first time that I made a dessert using plums. And now I'm wondering why? Such an elegant compination! Thanks very much for this great recipe!
- 1 (8 inch) shortcrust pastry, flan case
- 10 ounces water
- 2 -3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 lb fresh plum (ripe, halved & stoned)
- 3 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces milk (boiling)
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water & caster sugar in a lrg saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Then add plums & mix well.
- Reduce heat & cook for 5-10 min till plums are just tender, but still intact. Remove from heat & allow to cool.
- In a lrg mixing bowl, beat together the granulated sugar & egg yolks till pale & thick. Whisk in the flour till smooth.
- Gradually add boiling milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Transfer to a saucepan & slowly heat to near boiling point, stirring constantly. Cont to cook for a further 2 min, stirring all the time.
- Remove from the heat, beat in the butter & vanilla extract. Then stand the saucepan in cold water & cont to stir till cooled.
- Once cold, pour the creme into the pastry case. Then arrange the plums (cut sides down) in the filled case. The tops of the plums should stand above the crème. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt jam w/the lemon juice over a low heat, mixing well.
- Brush the apricot mixture over the top of the plums to glaze them. Then refrigerate to get completely cold before serving.