Recipe by Sydney Mike
I believe this recipe comes from Everybody Eats Well in Belgium -- It makes for an interesting loaf!
Top Review by Dienia B.
this was a hit at my house i used paula deens poutry seasoning instead of the freas herbs the cognac really bumped up the flavor my friend really liked this and hes a plain meat and potatoeas guy i just used cognac as thats what i had will be making this again.and again
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon port wine
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 1 sprig rosemary
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, & brush a meatloaf pan with 1 teaspoon melted butter.
- Soak bread crumbs in 3/4 cup milk.
- In medium skillet, melt the 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, then add onion & saute 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms & saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic & saute 1 minute.
- In a mixing bowl, add ground beef & egg, then squeeze bread crumbs dry & add to bowl.
- Add onion mixture, parsley, sage, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg, port & cognac, & mix well.
- Place meat mixture in prepared pan, & top with rosemary, then bake 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees F & bake another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven & let rest 10 minutes before serving.