1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1/2 lb ground pork or 1/2 lb veal
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, fine minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1To prepare meatballs, soak bread crumbs in milk until thoroughly moistened; squeeze dry with hands.
- 2Combine bread crumbs, ground meats, eggs, shallots, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg in medium bowl.
- 3Form mixture into 6 to 8 balls or patties (2 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick); dust with 2 tablespoons flour.
- 4Heat butter and oil in deep, heavy Dutch oven, until hot but not smoking, over high heat.
- 5Add meatballs; cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes, making sure butter does not burn.
- 6Remove meat balls to platter; keep warm.
- 7To prepare sauce, discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat in pan.
- 8Add onion and endives.
- 9Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes.
- 10Add sugar, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons flour to vegetables; cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- 11Add beer and broth; heat to quick boil, scraping up all brown bits from bottom of pan.
- 12Reduce heat to simmer; return meatballs to pan, placing them on top of vegetables.
- 13Simmer, partly covered, until meat is cooked through, 45 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Belgian Meatballs Braised in Beer
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.8
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 114.7 mg
- Sodium 217.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 25.7 g