12 hrs 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1This recipe originates in Flanders where Savoy cabbage is much loved.
- 2The stock is made into a quick pea soup and served as a first course.
- 3It is similar to the French Pot au Feu although the former has peas and the latter garlic and leeks.
- 4Cover the beef, pork, pork bone, bay leaves and peppercorns in water in a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- 5Skim the foam away and cover; simmer 2 1/2-3 hrs until the meats are tender.
- 6Add the salt during the last hour.
- 7Prepare and reserve the vegetables.
- 8Wash the potatoes; do not peel if new.
- 9Wash, trim, core and cut the cabbage into 8 wedges.
- 10Peel and quarter the turnips.
- 11About 30 min before the meat is done add the potatoes and turnips.
- 12Remove the meats and vegetables from the broth; arrange the vegetables around the meat on a large platter, cover with foil and keep warm.
- 13Discard the pork bone.
- 14Strain the broth through cheesecloth and reserve 2 cups for the pea soup, returning the rest to the pot to cook the cabbage in.
- 15Simmer the cabbage 5-7 min until tender and remove; arrange on the meat platter.
- 16Meanwhile cook the peas in a separate smaller pot; puree in a blender with the reserved broth in small lots until smooth.
- 17Strain through a wire sieve discarding the pulp.
- 18Re-heat and serve as a first course garnished with croutons and chives.
- 19Then bring the hot platter to the table; slice meat and serve with mustard and horseradish.
- 20To adapt to a crockpot I would suggest[but have not tested] about 10-12 hrs on low for the meats, perhaps 4 hrs for the potatoes and turnips and do the cabbage with the meats and vegetables say the last 30 min.
- 21Do the peas separately on the stove at the last minute.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Belgian Hutsepot
Serving Size: 1 (929 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.1
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 148.5 mg
- Sodium 792.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 53.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: