Recipe by Julesong
I was so very lucky in that I was able to go to Italy, and I went to wonderful dinners where various stuffed endives were served. Egg salad was a nice, rich, savory favorite every time. :)
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, shelled and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 6 heads Belgian endive
- 4 ounces cooked bay shrimp, rinsed and well drained
- fresh edible flower, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the chopped eggs, mayo, mustard, celery salt, and minced dried onion.
- You can make the filling 1 day ahead- at this point, you'd need to cover and refrigerate it.
- Cut off and discard the root ends of endive, and separate leaves.
- Rinse leaves under cool running water, then shake dry.
- On the wide end of each leaf, place a generous teaspoon the egg mixture, and then place 1 shrimp atop each.
- Sprinkle each filled leaf with paprika.
- And now for the artistic portion of the program: for serving: on a large platter, arrange the filled leaves in concentric circles, resembling a flower. If you like, you can place colorful edible flowers in the middle and arrange the leaves around them, for a little color and artistry! You can arrange them on the platter 4 hours ahead, then cover and chill until serving.