1/1 Photo of Belgian Endive, Orange and Date Salad
From npr.org. Artistic yet easy. For a vegan version substitute agave for the honey. I gave the salad more of a Middle Eastern flavor with the addition of rose water in the dressing. To avoid confusion, the endive called for in this recipe refers to the cone-shaped variety (looks like a bullet or small ear of corn.) I used a head of white endive with the maroon/purple colored outer leaves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar (I used unseasoned brown rice vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey, softened to whisk easier
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 valencia oranges, peeled and sectioned (original recipe specified navel oranges)
- 3 Belgian endive, sliced cross-wise into circles (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, with the leaves (read *Note below)
- 6 medjool dates, pitted and slivered (read Tip below)
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios (changed from pecans)
- 16 fresh mint leaves (fresh only!)
- 1*Note: specifically the [inner white] stalks of celery plus the leaves. The celery stalks are thinly sliced on a diagonal.
- 2Tip: To make slicing the Medjools easier, run your knife under hot water before slicing.
- 3For the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- 4To make individual salad stacks, place radish slices in a circle in the middle of a salad plate.
- 5Then build up as you go, adding oranges slices, endive slices, celery slices and leaves, dates, pistachios (or pecans) and fresh mint leaves. Repeat with remaining three dishes.
- 6Drizzle with dressing, and garnish with orange zest, celery leaves and fresh mint.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Belgian Endive, Orange and Date Salad
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.0
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 136.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 7.5 g