Recipe by That is Dr House to you
Modified from From The Magazine of La Cucina Italiana, January/February 2003
- 4 heads Belgian endive
- extra virgin olive oil, plus oil for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces morbier cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped mixed herbs
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 lb sandwich bread, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons parmigiano, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Mixed herbs: : thyme, marjoram, parsley, chives.
- Strip leaves, trim, wash, dry, wilt til just soft in pan with oil and add onion, salt and water.
- Blend the Morbier and ricotta in bowl add eggs, salt and pepper, herbs, and bread crumbs.
- Drain leaves and place on cutting board in pairs in a cross. Top center with 1 tsp ricotta cheese mix fold over ends of leaves to make bundles.
- Mix bread, cornmeal and parmigiano. Heat oil until hot, do not let smoke. Roll the endive in flour, then in eggs and then bread mix.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack over paper towels while you finish the rest. Drain last. Salt and serve.