Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
My best friend is on a low-carb diet. I made this for her birthday dinner and everyone (including the kids) loved it. Very easy to do.
- 2 pears, cored and thinly sliced
- lemon juice
- 3 cups roughly chopped Belgian endive
- 1 cup crumbled good quality blue cheese
- red wine and vinegar salad dressing (2 parts white or red wine vinegar to 1 part olive oil)
- freshly grated black pepper
- Core and thinly slice pear and sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Toss endive and blue cheese together.
- Add oil and vinegar dressing.
- Arrange pear slices around the edges of a salad plate and mound salad in the center.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Good salad, with a nice blend of flavors. This was my first experience with endive, and I found it to be a little bitter, though the sweetness of the pears helped to counterbalance it. I added chopped walnuts, which was probably not the best idea, since it compounded the bitterness issue. Pecans would have been a better choice.
For the blue cheese, 1/3 cup is plenty - I would say it's a five star if the amount in the recipe were reduced. I made this once with radicchio and it was equally good as the Belgian Endive; either one holds up well in the refrigerator without getting soggy; the leftovers with grilled chicken makes a delicious lunch. Lovely and easy!
Very nice simple salad, much governed by the quality of the bleu cheese and the vinegar. Made almost perfect by a perfectly ripe pear.