Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Endives wrapped in ham and baked in a cheese sauce with sauteed peppers.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 endives, cored
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese, Grated
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, Freshly Grated
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices ham
- freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the endives and fry gently until lightly browned on all side. Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reheat the oil in the frying pan, add the peppers and sauté gently until they begin to soften. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the flour to the remaining oil in the pan and cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk a little at a time, mixing well between each addition and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the cheeses, salt and pepper and stir until well blended.
- Stir in the sautéed peppers. Set aside.
- Wrap each endive in a piece of ham and place in a shallow ovenproof dish side by side.
- Cover with cheese and pepper sauce and bake for about 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and brown. Serve hot garnished with freshly chopped parsley.