1/1 Photo of Belgian Endive and Ham Casserole
Hag chef's Note:
This is one of my favourite vegetable recipes. It is a real indulgence, and one I usually use for special occasions. It originates from The Netherlands, and is a family recipe. It is so good! A tasty way to serve Belgian Endive, or "witlof".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 heads Belgian endive
- 12 slices black forest ham
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Trim the ends from the endives.
- 3Cook the endives in boiling salted water for 10- 12 minutes or until tender crisp.
- 4Drain well.
- 5When cool enough to handle, wrap each one with a slice of ham and place them in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- 6Sauce: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the butter until bubbly, and add the flour.
- 7Cook, stirring for a minute until it is well blended.
- 8Add the milk, and whisk smooth.
- 9Turn the heat down.
- 10Stir in the grated cheese, and add the salt and pepper and pinch of cayenne pepper, and simmer for another minute.
- 11Pour the sauce over the endives, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Belgian Endive and Ham Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (1206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.6
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 139.9 mg
- Sodium 1858.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 49.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 48.6 g