This is one of my favourite vegetable recipes. It is a real indulgence, and one I usually use for special occasions. It originates from The Netherlands, and is a family recipe. It is so good! A tasty way to serve Belgian Endive, or "witlof".
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the ends from the endives.
- Cook the endives in boiling salted water for 10- 12 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Drain well.
- When cool enough to handle, wrap each one with a slice of ham and place them in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the butter until bubbly, and add the flour.
- Cook, stirring for a minute until it is well blended.
- Add the milk, and whisk smooth.
- Turn the heat down.
- Stir in the grated cheese, and add the salt and pepper and pinch of cayenne pepper, and simmer for another minute.
- Pour the sauce over the endives, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.