Recipe by Olha
These are bar cookies, sprinkled with almonds, cinnamon and red and green sugar.
Top Review by jrogers.judi
I made these cookies for our Christmas Party. Folks loved them and were intrigued by the somewhat different flavor and pretty appearance. So many recipes call for pecans on top, so the almonds set this apart. I used whole natural almonds that I ground in my Cuisinart. The sprinkling of cinnamon and sugars made this a crowd pleaser. To top it off, this recipe was easy to make! I'll enjoy making these again!
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped unblanched whole almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons red sugar crystals
- 2 teaspoons green sugar crystals
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter with extract; add brown sugar gradually, creaming until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together; add in thirds to creamed mixture, mixing until blended after each addition. Turn into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan and spread evenly to edges.
- Sprinkle a mixture of almonds and cinnamon over batter, then sprinkle with a mixture of red and green sugar.
- Bake at 375°F 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cut into bars while still warm. About 5 dozen cookies.
- Canadian Family Cookbook.