Recipe by YummySmellsca
Leftover Challah bread soaks up a rich cocoa-infused custard before being topped off with chopped chocolate and baked to delicious, almost brownie-like perfection. The only thing that would make it better is a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
- 9 ounces stale challah or 9 ounces egg bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons vanilla custard powder or 5 tablespoons cook & serve vanilla pudding
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped semisweet chocolate or 2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9” square baking pan with paper liners. Place the tin on a baking sheet.
- Tear the bread into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined.
- Add the butter, cocoa, custard powder and baking powder and beat well.
- Pour the custard over the bread and stir well. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the pan and gently press the bread cubes with a spatula to compact.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.