Recipe by Mom to all
Recently I took a cooking class at Sur La Table in Connecticut, with my mom and niece. One of the recipes we made was this. Boy was it so good. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Top Review by swissms
Excellent. Prepared this morning and it was very easy to put together. I did accidentally leave out the butter from the batter, but the waffles still turned out fine. I did not have any buttermilk so I substituted half plain non-fat yogurt and half milk. I did not make the whipped cream and almond topping but it would make the waffles very decadent if serving to guests. Next time I may increase the amount of almond extract in the batter. Thank you for a great recipe!
- 1 lb unsweetened frozen sliced peaches
- 1⁄2 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk (well shaken)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- vegetable oil, for waffle iron
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- sweetened whipped cream, flavored with
- almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- For cinnamon peach compote:.
- Combine peaches, brown sugar 1/4 cup water, cinnamon and nutmeg in heavy medium sauce pan.
- Cook compote over medium heat until liquid is reduced to medium think syrup, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- For Waffles:.
- Put oven race in middle position and put a large metal cooling rack directly on it.
- Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron.
- Whisk together flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and almond extract in another bowl, then whisk into flour mixture until just combined.
- Brush hot waffle iron lightly with vegetable oil and pour a slightly rounded 1/2 cup of batter into each waffle mold.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer as cooked to rack in oven to keep warm, keeping waffles in 1 layer to stay crisp. Make more waffle in same manner.
- NOTE: If using a regular waffle iron (not Belgian), batter will yield about 14 waffles using 1/3 cup per waffle.
- To serve:.
- Place waffle on dish, add compote, sweetened whipped cream and toasted almonds on top.