Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from the Barbecue Bible Sauces Rubs and Marinades. Posted for ZWT6. Best with robust meat or rich, oily fish.
- 2 cups beer (the stronger the beer the stronger the flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup honey mustard
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, flattened with the side of a cleaver
- 2 slices fresh ginger, flattened with the side of a cleaver
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- Whisk beer, mustard, oil, salt and pepper together in a nonreactive bowl until salt dissolves.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- This will keep up to 3 days if covered and refrigerated.
This marinade smelled wonderful and made some juicy nice flavored grilled eye of round steaks. I did run into a few snags and had to make some substitutions. Was out of honey mustard so I used dijon with 1 tablespoon of honey. Swore I had pickling spice and caraway seeds but was out so I used celery seed for the caraway and a internet search found some quick subs for the pickling spice. I think this was great marinade but with the correct ingredients would be super. Made and reviewed for KC's Recipe Tag Game.