Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 1⁄4 lb lean diced bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 20 small onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast or 2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fresh black pepper
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pour boiling water over the diced bacon.
- Let stand for two minutes, then drain.
- Put bacon and butter into a large skillet.
- Cook bacon until transparent and limp.
- Add the peeled small whole onions, garlic.
- Cook stirring frequently until they are golden.
- Transfer bacon and onions to a dutch oven.
- Add the cubes of beef into fat left in skillet and brown.
- Transfer the beef in with the onions and bacon.
- Stir in the flour and salt, nutmeg, pepper, and beer.
- To just barely cover the meat.
- Bring to a med.
- boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed atjust before serving.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Serve with cooked wide egg noodles, garnish with parsley.