1/1 Photo of Bek's Spicy Tuscan Soup
I've seen several Tuscan Soup recipes out there, so here's mine. I have a penchant for spicy Italian, but please feel free to sub milder ingredients, if that's your thing. I don't know why it would be, but if that floats your boat... Serve with some warm crusty bread and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups chicken stock (sub canned if needed)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, spicy (I use Johnsonville)
- 3 large potatoes, cubed (NOT peeled)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel tomatoes and green chilies, NOT drained or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, flavor of your choice with juice
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped with stems removed or 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk or 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1Remove casings from sausage links and slice. Place sliced links in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat and brown until no longer pink. Drain excess grease, but do not rinse.
- 2Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook until soft, stirring often. Add garlic and sautee one minute longer (careful not to scorch it!), then add stock and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- 3At this point, if you prefer a thicker broth, feel free to hit it with an immersion blender for a couple seconds, or mash some of the potatoes with a fork and stir in to the broth. The addition of the cream at the end will thicken it slightly, but use your judgement and your family's preference as your guide.
- 4Add beans, tomatoes, and spinach, simmer until spinach is just wilted but still green, 1 - 2 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in milk or cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bek's Spicy Tuscan Soup
Serving Size: 1 (645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 860.5
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 2469.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 43.8 g