1/1 Photo of Bek's Spicy Anytime Hash Browns - Homemade
Well, not necessarily "spicy" - I don't use nearly as much cayenne since having kids! I made these for DH today for Father's Day, haven't made them in quite a while. This time, I actually paid attention to the amounts so I could post it here for all my Zaar friends! We also like these as Southwest hasbrowns, see the end of the recipe for the variation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a large, heavy non-stick skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Add potatoes, then sprinkle generously with garlic pepper, italian seasoning, and a bit of the cayenne pepper adjusted to your heat preference. Stir gently once, but then allow the potatoes to crisp up for 2-3 minutes without stirring.
- 2Add bell peppers and onion, stir again, and let crisp. Continue cooking and stirring every couple minutes - don't stir too often, you want some nice crispy bits.
- 3Watch the heat - I keep mine on high because I want the liquid from the peppers and onions to evaporate without making the potatoes mushy. If your stove gets hotter than mine, though, you may need to turn it down a notch to keep it from burning. If the heat is too low, though, you'll end up with a mushy mess, so keep it as high as you can without it smoking.
- 4Keep cooking this way until the onion and peppers get nice and browned. You should have some nice crispy bits, and the overall color of the dish should deepen to a dark caramel brown as it cooks.
- 5Taste occasionally, add salt and spices as needed to taste.
- 6To complete as a Southwest breakfast - Serve hashbrowns covered in shredded Mexican-blend cheese, salsa, and two fried eggs.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bek's Spicy Anytime Hash Browns - Homemade
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.2
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic pepper seasoning