Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Simple, basic pot roast - adapt as you see fit! Sometimes I omit the mushrooms or celery, but other than that, I leave it alone. You can probably add more spices if you like.
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb carrots, peeled and cut crosswise or 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (or 1 8oz can with juice)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Place vegetables on bottom of crock-pot. Place meat on top. Season with salt and pepper. Pour about 3 tablespoons of water into the pot. Cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours.
- Remove meat and vegetables to large serving dish or bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Make gravy by making a smooth paste of 3 tablespoons of flour and 1/4 cup water in a 2-cup measuring cup. Slowly ladle hot juices into the flour mixture, stirring constantly. Once the measuring cup is full, pour gravy mixture back into crock-pot and blend with remaining juices. Either pour gravy over meat and vegetables, or serve gravy separately.
- Serve immediately.
This is a great recipe. I changed it a bit by searing the meat first and adding two parsnips, one and a half baking potatoes instead of red and one Yeungling traditional lager for flavor. (I left out the mushrooms though I they would have been a nice addition.)
It turned out fantastic!
I thought that this recipe was very good.The only thing is that I thought that 10 hours was a bit long for a 2 pound roast as did another reviewer. I cooked it on low for under 8 hours and it was great.
This is a nice way to pot roast--it's easy and th result was a nice and tender roast. My husband prefers much more spice but liked this just the same. Important to note is that in my crock pot the roast was done after 7 hours on low so keep the time frame in mind. Also, be sure to use a roast with plenty of fat for flavor.