Recipe by Gatorbek
Simple, basic pot roast - adapt as you see fit! Sometimes I omit the mushrooms or celery, but other than that, I leave it alone. You can probably add more spices if you like.
Top Review by mpollywog
This is a great recipe. I changed it a bit by searing the meat first and adding two parsnips, one and a half baking potatoes instead of red and one Yeungling traditional lager for flavor. (I left out the mushrooms though I they would have been a nice addition.)
It turned out fantastic!
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb carrots, peeled and cut crosswise or 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (or 1 8oz can with juice)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place vegetables on bottom of crock-pot. Place meat on top. Season with salt and pepper. Pour about 3 tablespoons of water into the pot. Cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours.
- Remove meat and vegetables to large serving dish or bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Make gravy by making a smooth paste of 3 tablespoons of flour and 1/4 cup water in a 2-cup measuring cup. Slowly ladle hot juices into the flour mixture, stirring constantly. Once the measuring cup is full, pour gravy mixture back into crock-pot and blend with remaining juices. Either pour gravy over meat and vegetables, or serve gravy separately.
- Serve immediately.