Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This started with my sister in law, moved to my mother in law, Sally, of the many other recipes I've posted, and now I've adapted it for my family. I decided a while back to use canned RoTel instead of fresh tomatoes and habaneros as she does, simply because it gave more consistent flavor and heat. Also, the preservaties in the canned version keep it from getting too watery the next day (not that there's often any LEFT the next day once DH sees it in the fridge!) Feel free to sub fresh when tomatoes are in season with the hot peppers of your choice; just watch for mushy tomatoes, though, that can ruin a good batch faster than anything. Most of the ingredients are to taste, so feel free to play with the amounts. I never measure, so these are approximate. Oh, and fresh cilantro is ESSENTIAL!
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomatoes, Rotel with green chiles
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped (Use scissors in a coffe mug)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (jarred is fine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (comino)
- Make sure tomatoes are drained well.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for about an hour to marry the flavors.
- You can eat it right away, though!
- If you're using fresh tomatoes and peppers, you'll want to add about 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of salt to taste.
- Since i use canned, I don't add any salt.
- My favorite chips are blue corn chips - enjoy!
Quick easy and delish! I love the trick with the Kosher salt. I am convinced that is what made this salsa so tasty. I'm making more tonight because my husband can't get enough. Thanks.
Loved this! It is as good, if not better, than any salsa I have bought from the store. The flavors are just wonderful. I will have to tone it down for some family members, but it was just hot enough for me and my husband. Thanks for bringing this recipe to my attention and for sharing.
This is wonderful. I made this earlier in the day and let it chill most of the day. It is very flavorful and I can't wait to try this when tomatoes are in season. A definite keeper. Thanks for sharing.