1/3 Photos of Bek's Creamy Chicken Quesadillas
This is a Gatorbek original - I don't know if I've ever seen a quesadilla recipe that uses cottage cheese, but my whole family loves this one! Just watch how much you spoon in to the tortillas, because you don't want it running out the sides if you can help it. You may have some filling left over, but if I remember, it usually comes out about right. If you want to spice it up, feel free to add some diced jalapeno or habenero - I usually just let the sauce add the zip because of the kids. This is great as an appetizer or a main dish. Serve with Bek's Famous Pico De Gallo, maybe some guac and a dollop of sour cream. **As with many of my recipes, the amounts are approximate - I just chop and dump in the pan. If the directions are in any way unclear, please z-mail me... I hesitated to post this one because it exists in my recipe box as a jot list of ingredients and nothing more. Hope it made it out of my head clearly!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (about 1/2 a medium onion)
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced (about 4 green onions, greens and whites)
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced (about 1/2 a medium pepper)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (use a coffee mug and a pair of scissors)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups chicken, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, grated (use your favorite blend)
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Slowly sauté the onion, green onion, and green pepper until just soft. Add garlic, cilantro, and lime juice and sauté 1 minute more. Remove from pan into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Add the chicken, salt, and pepper to the skillet and increase heat to medium high. Sauté until nicely browned and juices run clear. Add vegetables back in, toss to mix, then pour all of it back into the large mixing bowl. Be sure to scrape any yummy bits out as well.
- 3Add the cottage cheese and grated cheese to the chicken and vegetable mixture. Gently fold in until combined.
- 4Stove top directions: On a clean, cast iron griddle or skillet, heat additional oil over medium heat. Place each tortilla on griddle as space allows. Spoon filling onto one half of the tortilla, leaving an inch from the edges to prevent it seeping out. Fold in half, the press down with a spatula. Wait until cheese begins to melt (you can lift the top to check it), then carefully flip it and brown the other side. If your tortillas are getting too dark before the cheese melts, turn down the heat. Transfer to a warm platter and continue until they are all done.
- 5Oven directions: Preheat oven to 500°F Brush one side of the tortillas with olive oil and place on a shallow baking pan, oil side down. Fill as directed above and fold in half, pressing closed. Bake until crisp and golden, about 5-7 minutes.
- 6When ready to serve, use a pizza cutter to cut each quesadilla into four slices. Serve immediately with the garnishes of your choice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bek's Creamy Chicken Quesadillas
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.8
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 935.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 17.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: