I had a jar of pimentos in the pantry. It got me to thinking about how I could use them in a new way. I came up with this colorful chicken and rice dish.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into tenders
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1⁄2 cup jullianned carrot
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons pimientos
- 4 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- 2 1⁄8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and drain the rice. Place two cups warm water in a large saucepan. Pulverize the saffron and let it steep in the warm water for ten minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low . Cover and simmer for twenty minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, Melt the coconut oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook the chicken breast until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and place in a lightly greased covered casserole. Place the casserole in the oven.
- In the hot skillet, saute the carrots until crisp tender. Add the garlic, pimentos, and sliced olives. Add chicken stock, orange juice,zest sugar, salt, and all other spices. Bring to a boil.
- Stir corn starch in 1/8 cup cold water. Add cornstarch to skillet and reduce heat until the sauce thickens. Adjust seasonings if needed. Pour sauce over the chicken. Serve with saffron rice.