Recipe by Miss Fannie
I had a jar of pimentos in the pantry. It got me to thinking about how I could use them in a new way. I came up with this colorful chicken and rice dish.
Top Review by KateL
This was a pleasant supper dish that went together quickly; the flavors blended to perfection for our leftovers. Updated: raised to 4 stars now that directions specify when to add garlic. The saffron rice was perfect! The skillet steps timed nicely with the rice's 20 minutes. I question the need to preheat the oven to 350F when the chicken has already been cooked during stir-frying; wouldn't a warm setting do the trick? For my taste, I would halve the orange zest and the cardamom. Please consider listing the ingredients in the order used, as that makes it easier to follow. Also, it would be helpful to designate whether your herbs and spices were dried/ground or fresh. I used the Shopping List and bought fresh ginger, but decided during prep that you intended ground ginger. For us, the chicken (2 U.S. super-sized breasts) made 2-3 servings, and the rice made 4-5 servings. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into tenders
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1⁄2 cup jullianned carrot
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons pimientos
- 4 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- 2 1⁄8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and drain the rice. Place two cups warm water in a large saucepan. Pulverize the saffron and let it steep in the warm water for ten minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low . Cover and simmer for twenty minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, Melt the coconut oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook the chicken breast until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and place in a lightly greased covered casserole. Place the casserole in the oven.
- In the hot skillet, saute the carrots until crisp tender. Add the garlic, pimentos, and sliced olives. Add chicken stock, orange juice,zest sugar, salt, and all other spices. Bring to a boil.
- Stir corn starch in 1/8 cup cold water. Add cornstarch to skillet and reduce heat until the sauce thickens. Adjust seasonings if needed. Pour sauce over the chicken. Serve with saffron rice.