Videos of street venders making this are on YouTube, search for Jian Bing Beijing. This recipe makes a Jian Bing that is about one third the size the street venders make so that you can make it using a large skillet or hot plate. The Beijing style of Jian Bing uses flat, square shaped You Tiao (Chinese Crullers) instead of the round, long shaped You Tiao favored in other Chinese cities, although these can also be found in Beijing.
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 22.18 ml oil
- 118.29 ml milk
- 118.29 ml water
- 4 small green onions, sliced thin
- 39.43 ml cilantro, chopped
- 118.29 ml hoisin sauce
- 118.29 ml mild Chinese chili sauce
- 4 eggs, small, medium
- 236.59 ml water
- 2 crispy bread crackers (You Tiao or Chinese Crullers, you should be able to buy these at any major Asian grocery store that )
- To make the crepe batter, mix the flour, 1 tablespoon oil, milk, and ½ cup water together until smooth.
- In a small pan, add ½ teaspoon oil, and heat on medium. Add the sliced green onions to the pan. Fry for about 30 seconds, then add the Hoisin sauce and chili sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Add ½ cup water, and stir. Set aside for later use.
- Using a folded paper towel, coat the bottom of a large skillet or hot plate with ½ teaspoon of oil to prevent sticking. Heat on medium high heat, wait until the pan is heated. Stir the crepe batter again, and pour ¼ cup of it into the pan. Using a large rectangular spatula, spread into a 8 inch by 12 inch thin layer. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl and pour on top of the crepe. Spread the egg evenly on the top of the crepe using a the back of a spoon. Cook about 1 minute more, until the egg has partially solidified and the crepe is beginning to brown on the bottom, then flip over.
- Cook until the egg begins to brown, about 1 minute, then flip over so egg side is up.
- Using the back of a spoon spread ¼ of the sauces and green onion mixture evenly onto the egg surface. Evenly spread two teaspoons of the chopped cilantro over the egg/crepe.
- Lay one half of a Flat and Square You Tiao/Chinese Cruller on the middle of the egg/crepe.
- Fold both sides of the egg/crepe over the YouTiao/ Chinese Cruller. Crease the Jian Bing in the center with a spatula, and fold in half. Fold a paper towel in half, and use it to hold the Jian Bing as you eat it.
- Repeat steps 3 to 8 for the remaining three Jian Bings this recipe makes.