1/1 Photo of Beijing Style Jian Bing
Videos of street venders making this are on YouTube, search for Jian Bing Beijing. This recipe makes a Jian Bing that is about one third the size the street venders make so that you can make it using a large skillet or hot plate. The Beijing style of Jian Bing uses flat, square shaped You Tiao (Chinese Crullers) instead of the round, long shaped You Tiao favored in other Chinese cities, although these can also be found in Beijing.
My Private Note
Jian Bi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 small green onions, sliced thin
- 8 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup mild Chinese chili sauce
- 4 eggs, small, medium
- 1 cup water
- 2 crispy bread crackers (You Tiao or Chinese Crullers, you should be able to buy these at any major Asian grocery store that )
- 1To make the crepe batter, mix the flour, 1 tablespoon oil, milk, and ½ cup water together until smooth.
- 2In a small pan, add ½ teaspoon oil, and heat on medium. Add the sliced green onions to the pan. Fry for about 30 seconds, then add the Hoisin sauce and chili sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Add ½ cup water, and stir. Set aside for later use.
- 3Using a folded paper towel, coat the bottom of a large skillet or hot plate with ½ teaspoon of oil to prevent sticking. Heat on medium high heat, wait until the pan is heated. Stir the crepe batter again, and pour ¼ cup of it into the pan. Using a large rectangular spatula, spread into a 8 inch by 12 inch thin layer. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- 4Beat an egg in a small bowl and pour on top of the crepe. Spread the egg evenly on the top of the crepe using a the back of a spoon. Cook about 1 minute more, until the egg has partially solidified and the crepe is beginning to brown on the bottom, then flip over.
- 5Cook until the egg begins to brown, about 1 minute, then flip over so egg side is up.
- 6Using the back of a spoon spread ¼ of the sauces and green onion mixture evenly onto the egg surface. Evenly spread two teaspoons of the chopped cilantro over the egg/crepe.
- 7Lay one half of a Flat and Square You Tiao/Chinese Cruller on the middle of the egg/crepe.
- 8Fold both sides of the egg/crepe over the YouTiao/ Chinese Cruller. Crease the Jian Bing in the center with a spatula, and fold in half. Fold a paper towel in half, and use it to hold the Jian Bing as you eat it.
- 9Repeat steps 3 to 8 for the remaining three Jian Bings this recipe makes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beijing Style Jian Bing
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.7
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 191.2 mg
- Sodium 676.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese chili sauce