Recipe by baezus
I was trying to follow a simple recipe when - surprise - I don't have the ingredients! The results are these parve beignets that were a fantastic hit!
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 16 ounces vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- strawberry jam
- prepared vanilla pudding, etc. for filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vanilla pudding using the soy milk.
- In a bowl place the flour, pudding, sugar, and eggs. Knead until all ingredients are combined and a sticky, doughy batter is formed. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 6 cups of canola oil in a 6-quart stock pot, covered, over medium heat. When dough is ready, uncover oil and raise heat to high.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of batter and drop in oil. (Don't make doughnuts too big, they expand and you want them to cook through.) You should be able to fry 6 or so doughnuts at a time.
- When the beignets are browned on one side use slotted spoon to turn them over and fry until the enire doughnut is golden.
- Remove beignets and let cool and drain on paper towel lined plates. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Fill a squeeze bottle, flavor injector, or syringe with jelly, jam, custard etc. and inject a little into each doughnut. Or leave plain.
- Sprinkle each doughnut with confectioner's sugar or roll in confectioner's sugar or shake 3 at a time in a paper bag with confectioner's sugar.
- If needed you can make your own self-rising flour by mixing 8 cups of flour with 1 Tablespoon of salt and 5 Tablespoons of double acting baking powder. Blend and store in an air tight container labeled "SELF-RISING".