Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
A sweet treat just lovely with your coffee or tea. Also good with peach halves. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 6 apricots (either fresh or canned)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup madeira wine
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- oil (for frying)
- For the batter: beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Beat egg yolks until light; add sugar and salt, beat well and add flour, beating again.
- Add fruit juice and butter and enough water to make about the consistency of pancake batter.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Peel apricots if using fresh, stone and cut in half.
- Sprinkle with lemon peel and sugar; marinate in Madeira for two hours.
- Drain well, dip into batter and drop from spoon into hot oil (365F) and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.