Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Beginner's Pulled Pork recipe from Food.com.
- Combine sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Using a fork, prick pork all over.
- Rub sugar mixture over pork, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Unwrap pork and place in slow cooker.
- Spread barbecue sauce evenly over pork, cover, and cook until pork is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Transfer pork to large bowl; let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces discarding excess fat; cover to keep warm.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon.
- Season with salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegar to taste.
- Toss shredded pork with 1 cup braising liquid; add more liquid as needed to keep meat moist.
- Serve on buns with pickle chips and more barbecue sauce.
This is really good! I use the Neely's BBQ sauce recipe to make homemade bbq sauce. I also pull the pork, cover it w/extra sauce and let it cook on low for another hour. It is delicious. Every time I make it, everyone raves. I serve it on King's Hawaiian Rolls and serve with homemade coleslaw. Fantastic!