From the Chicago Tribune Magazine. The author adapted this recipe to introduce a young child to ethnic food other than pizza and spaghetti. It is a very mild curry, and my problem adult eater really enjoyed it. Tasty and colorful, it's fast andeasy to whip up.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 lb chicken breast, boned, skinned and cut into 1-in . cubes
- 3 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and salt; cook, stirring, until softened, 7 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in coconut milk, tomatoes, and tomato paste; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until cooked through, 6 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted, 1 minute.
- Serve hot over rice.
This was really good, and served its intended purpose of introducing DS to curry. I personally added garlic powder and red pepper at the table, but that was a small price to pay for a meal we could all enjoy! I used light coconut milk and frozen tomatoes, plus one of DS's old carrot baby food cubes instead of tomato paste; all worked just fine. Thanks for posting! Made for PRMR.
I love anything curry, so I knew I would love this dish, and it was totally delicious! I made the first time following the recipe but next time may play around with it a little. It was perfect as is though, so try it if you enjoy curry dishes! I loved the blend of infused flavors with the chicken. Great dish Duonyte! Thanks for sharing it with us! Made for 123 Hit Wonders 5/09 Linda
We really enjoyed this. I made it almost exactly to the recipe but had more like 4 teaspoons of curry powder. This curry has a beautiful smell to it as it's cooking. Had to let the chicken cook more than the 6 minutes that it suggests even though my pieces were very small. A really tasty recipe.