Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Russian variation on the English Beef Strogonoff. A lot richer & tastier than the English versions.
- 750 g tenderised steak, cut into strips or cubes
- 190 ml red wine
- 2 onions, sliced
- 30 ml butter or 30 ml margarine
- 5 ml mixed herbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 115 g tomato paste
- 5 ml salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 200 g sliced mushrooms, softened in butter
- 15 ml cake flour (for thickening)
- 15 ml butter (for thickening) or 15 ml margarine (for thickening)
- 250 ml sour cream
- Marinate steak overnight in wine to tenderise.
- Soften onions in butter with herbs and garlic.
- Add meat, tomato paste, marinade, salt & pepper.
- Simmer gently on top of stove until meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix flour & butter together.
- Crumble in flour & butter mixture to thicken sauce.
- Slowly add sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
- Please note that the preparation & cooking times are an estimate.