Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Made throughout the Balkans and Russia and Turkey, this side dish can be eaten alone or spread on pita bread. Make it a few hours ahead, and let it sit at room temperature to allow the flavors to mellow and meld.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups finely chopped precooked beets
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine walnut mixture and beets in a large bowl.
This was nice. I'm going to try it on some bread tomorrow, that seems delish to me. The longer you leave it, the better the flavors. I followed the recipe except for the vinegar, i used balsamico. Made for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers, ZWT4
I cut back on the amount of red pepper, but otherwise included the ingredients listed & had a very nice side dish! I particularly enjoyed it on thick slices of multigrain bread! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed while on tour in Eastern Europe during the Zaar World Tour 4]