Recipe by Dancer^
If you like beets, you'll love this recipe. For those who don't like beets, these may just change that!
Top Review by Diane Simon
I really enjoyed this recipe. I used ground cumin instead of cumin seed and I think it worked equally well. It had a chili flavor too it and the beats amost made the consistancy meaty.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 medium beets, peeled and quartered
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Pour in oil and saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Mix in cumin seed and saute an additional 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and saute 1 minute more.
- Stir in beets, tomatoes, water, and salt.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan with lid, and allow to simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until beets are tender.