Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Beets add beautiful color and they are super healthy & delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beets
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- salt & pepper
- **Wear rubber gloves when handling beets! Trim beet greens and wash well. Place in 2 1/2 qt saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook 25-40 minutes (depending on size) until tender. Drain and let cool until you can handle them. Peel beets and cut into slices or wedges. (You can probably use canned beets - just skip this step).
- Stir together mustard, vinegar, oil, and tarragon. Pour over beets. Season with salt and pepper. Toss and serve hot or at room temperature.
I love fresh beets and this recipe has a perfect blend of flavors for them. I added a pinch of sugar. I had dried tarragon, but then added some fresh parsley so I still had a fresh herb flavor in there. I thought these were best served at room temp. Thanx for sharing.
Very tasty! Really like the mustard undertones. Made as written using dried tarragon as that is what we had on hand and served at room temp. As I do not always have time to roast fresh beets was wondering if canned would work. Sounds like a good excuse to try this recipe again. :D Thanks so much for the post.
Loved it! The consensus at my house was that the "licorice" flavor of the fresh tarragon complemented the beets quite nicely. Thanks for posting this easy, nutritious, delicious recipe that makes for an impressive visual presentation. Made for Veg*n Swap, July 2010.