Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This sauce is addictive. Feel free to adjust the quantities of beets and apples according to your taste.
- 1 (12 ounce) cansliced beets, , drained with liquid reserved
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh, if posible)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (or other sodium-free spice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tart green apple, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine ¼ cup of the beet liquid, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, brown sugar and cornstarch; mix well.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
- Stir in beets and apple.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Freeze leftovers.
This was a delightful side dish, with the balsamic/lemon/sugar forming a beautiful glaze for the beets and apples. I paired this with Herb & Garlic roast Pork Tenderloin #116612 by Marie and it was the perfect pairing. Thank you Miller for another outstanding recipe. Your legacy lives on, and may you rest in peace.
Thanks for a great side dish. We love beets, and I enjoy finding good ways to use them. This is high on the list.