Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Good for the Thanksgiving holidays! Quick to make if you use canned beets (plus you won't get your hands all purple!).
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 cups cooked sliced beets or 2 (16 ounce) canssliced beets, drained
- In saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; slowly stir in orange juice.
- Add butter or margarine and orange zest.
- Over medium heat, cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, add beets and cook just until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Great strong orange flavor! I added 1 tbs cider vinegar to the sauce. Perfect!!!
Exactly the same recipe my mom used to make beets. It's fantastic.
This was super good. I didn't use orange zest as I didn't have any. Also used Splenda brown sugar blend for the sugar. Thanks for a great, easy recipe. I'll never eat beets any other way, unless pickled.