Recipe by rikka
I have very fussy kids and have so much trouble getting them to each vegies, so now I hide them in muffins. The muffins are mostly sweetened with stevia so they are low sugar. They can eat as many as they want and I know they are getting lots of good stuff into them. With the coconut milk instead of butter and milk they are also diary free.
- 3 medium beetroots, peeled
- 270 ml unsweetened coconut milk (the kind that gets the solid fat ontop when cold)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup stevia (I used the Hermesetas Granulated Stevia, which is a 1 -- 1 by volume sugar replacement)
- 2 1⁄2 cups wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate the beetroot by hand or use grating attachment on the food processor. Remove grating attachment and insert regular food processing blade.
- Add eggs, coconut milk, vanilla essence and salt then whizz on medium until combined.
- Add 2 cups of flour and whizz on slow to medium until combined. If mixture looks too wet and does not hold shape well add the rest of the flour and whizz again.
- Add the sesame seeds and whizz slowly until combined (we want these to stay whole and not be pureed).
- Scrape mixture into a large ziplock bag and seal bag. Snip one corner of the bag and squeeze mixture into greased mini muffin tins.
- Cook in pre-heated oven on 180 C (350-360 F) for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out cleanly when inserted.
- Cool on racks.