Recipe by RealDummy
This is a south Indian recipe for beetroot. The Indian spices can be obtained from an Indian store or a specialty grocery store. The recipe can be modified to be used for grated cucumbers / carrots.
- 2 small beetroots or 2 medium beetroots
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 8 -10 curry leaves, washed and dried (It is a fragrant leaf used in south Indian cooking)
- 2 green chilies, chopped (medium heat)
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate the beetroot using a box grater. Keep in a bowl.
- In a small pan, heat the oil till it shimmers.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Take care as they will splutter.
- Once the ingredients are settled, add green chillies and cook for about a minute.
- Turn off the gas and add cayenne pepper.
- Add the flavored oil to the beetroot. Add salt, sugar and lime juice.
- Toss and serve.
- This salad is best with rice and fish curry or any curry. The last five ingredients in the list can be adjusted to ones taste.