2 hrs 40 mins
This is one of my own concoctions coming about from my love of beetroot! The beets are steamed and then coated with an orange and balsamic dressing...and that's it! Easy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 medium beets, leaves and stalky things removed
- 1Half fill the bottom part of a double pan (one of the steaming ones) with water and bring to the boil. Wash the beets and place in the top part of the steamer and place over the pot of boiling water. Put the lid on and reduce the heat to low. Allow to steam for anywhere between 1-2 hours (you'll know when they're done when a skewer can be pushed through the centre of the largest beet with no troubles). Remove from heat and allow to cool. (Alternatively, steam the beetroot in the microwave).
- 2Pour the water out of the bottom pan.
- 3When beets are cool enough to handle, cut the stem and root end off the beetroot and rub the skin with your fingers to peel (rubber gloves may be handy so you don't stain your hands). Cut peeled beets into large chunks and place into the bottom part of the steamer (you can use another saucepan if you want, this just saves on dishes).
- 4In a separate bowl combine the four dressing ingredients, making sure there are no lumps.
- 5On a high heat warm the beetroot before adding the dressing mixture to the pan. Keep stirring until the dressing begins to thicken.
- 6This salad can be served warm, cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beetroot Salad
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 41.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 40.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 1.0 g