Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A beetroot fanatic? Try this colourful risotto out :) Source: Delicious magazine - April 2003
- 450 g whole baby beets
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 g arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 150 ml red wine
- 75 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 125 g soft fresh goat cheese
- wild rocket, to serve (arugula)
- Drain the beetroot juice into a jug and add the vegetable stock to that to make up about 1 litre.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until just softened.
- Add the rice and thyme and stir to coat the rice grains in the butter.
- Add the red wine to the rice and continue cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the stock mixture, a ladleful at a time, stirring to prevent catching and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next ladleful. Continue for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked but slightly al dente.
- Dice the beetroot into small cubes, and then add to the risotto, along with two-thirds of the chopped walnuts.
- To serve, crumble the goats' cheese over the beetroot risotto, sprinkle with the remaining walnuts and then garnish with some wild rocket.
I haven't tried this yet, but I will this week and will let you know how it goes. :) I'll start you off with five stars though, since with these ingredients I suspect it will be delicious.