Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is just the thing to make an ordinary everyday sandwich or wrap into a gourmet lunch! It is so nice served with a fresh crusty bread and cheese. Wear gloves and protect benches when grating the beetroot as cut beetroot stains everything!
- 1 1⁄4 kg beetroots, peeled and grated
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- Place all ingredients into a large saucepan on medium heat and stir well until the sugar is disolved.
- Bring to boil and cook for 30 minutes or until the relish mixture is reduced and syrupy.
- Being careful, spoon the hot beetroot relish into sterilised jars and seal.
I have used this recipe for years. It has wonderful flavour and crunch that has lasted for at least two years in the jars. A great keeping relish. Sometimes I it doesn't really go syrupy but it keeps much the same. Sometimes I add water because it goes a bit dry rather than syrupy and is still ok! I have used quite large overgrown beetroot.