Recipe by Tisme
Cleaning out my recipe drawer and I came across this very old recipe for relish that I used to make many years ago. This relish keeps so well (about 6 months in a cool dry place) and I remember everyone loved it. I used to serve it with meat (both hot and cold meats). Relish must be refrigerated after opening.
Top Review by awalde
I had the great opporunity to try this relish in Jan's house! We really liked this, liked the taste, the texture and the color of it!
It's a very good idea to prepare it and to have some to serve with several dishes adding a pretty touch to you dish and making the meal more delicious.
- 1 kg beetroot, roughly chopped (about 3 large)
- 750 g onions, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel beetroot and chop roughly. Process both beetroot and onions in batches until very finely chopped.
- Combine the beetroot and onion mixture with the sugar, salt, allspice and 1 1/2 cups of the vinegar in a large saucepan, bring mixture to boil, boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Blend flour with the remaining vinegar and add to the beetroot mixture, stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal when cold.