Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
From the 2006 veg. soc. "saints" christmas menu. Make sure not to use beetroot which has been soaked in vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 75 g onions, finely chopped
- 175 g carrots, thinly sliced
- 150 g parsnips, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 800 ml light stock
- 350 g cooked beetroots, sliced
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sweat the onion, carrot and parsnip for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the coriander and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and beetroot. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes, adding 2 tsp of dill for the last 2 or 3 minutes.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and extract the juice using a lemon squeezer. Blend the soup and add the juice to taste (up to 4 tbsp).
- Garnish with the yoghurt, walnut pieces and remaining 2 tsp chopped dill. Serve with walnut bread or if nut free, granary or rye rolls.