Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had this lovely dessert at my going to be SIL's place and got the recipe from her mother. Amazing! I liked the poppy seed garnish a lot. You may have to roast these slightly for crisper seeds.
- 1 kg grated beetroot
- 1 liter milk, full cream
- 10 green cardamoms
- 180 g sugar (1 3/4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, slivered and roasted lightly
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, slivered
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (to garnish, approx)
- Heat milk in a heavy pan, bring to a slow boil, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add the grated beetroot and cardamoms and cook over medium heat for 30-45 minutes or until the milk has almost eveporated Add the sugar, stir and cook until it dissolves completely.
- Add the clarified butter, stir and cook until the beetroots are slightly caramalised.
- Reduce the heat, and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Serve at room temperature garnished with poppy seeds and roasted and slivered almonds and also slivered pistachios.