This was given to me by an Egyptian friend who said it's a family recipe. I like the fact it's doesn't contain dairy and nuts so it was perfect for Menu #24612 because we had a few guest who are lactose intolerant and have an allergic to nuts. You can chill the dip until it's needed. It will keep for two days in the refrigerator but the flavour will enhance
- 2 (425 g) cans beetroots or 850 g beets, Drain
- 2 garlic cloves, Crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Discard all the liquid from the beetroot and beets can.
- Place all ingredients (drained beetroots/beets, garlic cloves, lemon juice, olive oil, coriander, cumin, sweet paprika, cinnamon sea salt and black pepper) in a blender and puree until it's smooth.
- Serve with warm pita bread, Turkish bread, white bread or flat bread. Enjoy.