Recipe by Chef floWer
This was given to me by an Egyptian friend who said it's a family recipe. I like the fact it's doesn't contain dairy and nuts so it was perfect for Menu #24612 because we had a few guest who are lactose intolerant and have an allergic to nuts. You can chill the dip until it's needed. It will keep for two days in the refrigerator but the flavour will enhance
Top Review by Lalaloula
This was very yummy! Loved the use of the different spices and how easy and quick this healthy dip was to prepare.
It was very garlicky, but we enjoyed that. Serving it with plain crackers or bread would probably be good for mellowing that out a bit, though if one prefers.
My only change was to leave out the lemon juice as I cant have it.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a keeper with us, chef floWer!
Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #54 July 2011.
- 2 (425 g) cans beetroots or 850 g beets, Drain
- 2 garlic cloves, Crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Discard all the liquid from the beetroot and beets can.
- Place all ingredients (drained beetroots/beets, garlic cloves, lemon juice, olive oil, coriander, cumin, sweet paprika, cinnamon sea salt and black pepper) in a blender and puree until it's smooth.
- Serve with warm pita bread, Turkish bread, white bread or flat bread. Enjoy.