1 hr 10 mins
Norahs Girl's Note:
This cake might sound odd!as it uses Beetroot but do try it I think you,ll be pleasently surprised.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 625 ml all-purpose flour
- 10 ml baking powder
- 7 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 15 ml mixed spice
- 5 ml salt
- 375 ml sugar
- 315 ml sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 500 ml peeled and grated beetroots
- 250 ml chopped pecan nuts
- 65 ml apricot jam
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1Preheat oven to 190 ºC.
- 2Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and salt twice.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs.
- 4Add beetroot, nuts and jam and mix well.
- 5Sift in flour mixture and mix well.
- 6Pour into a greased deep 20 cm diameter baking pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 7Cool slightly in pan, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 8Spread thickly with icing and decorate with candied beetroot topping.
- 10Place cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
- 11Fold in icing sugar and gently mix in orange peel.
- 13Place 250 ml (1 cup) each of the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- 14Bring to the boil.
- 15Add beetroot and reduce heat to moderate.
- 16Boil for 25 minutes.
- 17Remove beetroot slices.
- 18Combine remaining sugar and water in another saucepan and boil until sugar dissolves.
- 19Transfer beetroot to this mixture and cool.
- 20Store beetroot in syrup in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beetroot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 864.0
- Calories from Fat 620
- Total Fat 68.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 161.8 mg
- Sodium 876.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: