Recipe by Norahs Girl
This cake might sound odd!as it uses Beetroot but do try it I think you,ll be pleasently surprised.
- 625 ml all-purpose flour
- 10 ml baking powder
- 7 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 15 ml mixed spice
- 5 ml salt
- 375 ml sugar
- 315 ml sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 500 ml peeled and grated beetroots
- 250 ml chopped pecan nuts
- 65 ml apricot jam
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 500 g cream cheese
- 85 ml icing sugar, sifted
- 10 ml grated orange rind
- 375 ml sugar
- 315 ml water
- 3 medium beetroots, peeled and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 190 ºC.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and salt twice.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs.
- Add beetroot, nuts and jam and mix well.
- Sift in flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased deep 20 cm diameter baking pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in pan, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread thickly with icing and decorate with candied beetroot topping.
- Place cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Fold in icing sugar and gently mix in orange peel.
- Place 250 ml (1 cup) each of the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add beetroot and reduce heat to moderate.
- Boil for 25 minutes.
- Remove beetroot slices.
- Combine remaining sugar and water in another saucepan and boil until sugar dissolves.
- Transfer beetroot to this mixture and cool.
- Store beetroot in syrup in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.