Recipe by lindseylcw
From Silvena Rowe's book Feasts, she recommends serving this on blinis or as an accompaniment to a roast duck or pork.
- 4 medium beetroots, washed and trimmed
- 5 dates, stoned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f.
- wrap beetroots in foil and bake for 1 hour.
- put dates in a heat proof bowl, in a small saucepan heat the cognac, pour over the dates and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- when the beets are cooked and cooled, peel and chop coarsely.
- place in a food processor with the dates, cognac and garlic. process until coarsely pureed.
- transfer to a mixing bowl and add lemon juice, walnuts and sour cream. Mix well.
- season with salt and pepper and sprinkle chopped chives on top.