Prep 3 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious and healthy alternative to cheese sprinkled pasta. Even the cheese lover won't notice it's missing.
- 8 leaves beetroots (1 bunch or bag)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 250 g whole wheat pasta
- 1⁄4 cup pasta sauce
- Wash and pat dry beetroot leaves.
- Coarsely slice into strips.
- Place in frying pan with olive oil over a med low flame and cover.
- While beetroot leaves are wilting slice up the garlic.
- When leaves begin to wilt add the garlic to the pan and toss/stir. Add a bit of salt to taste.
- Cover again stirring occasionally until the garlic becomes translucent.
- Remove from heat.
- Make pasta according to directions on bag.
- Add cooked leaf/garlic mixture to pasta.
- Add some canned or homemade tomato sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Eat and enjoy.
I just harvested my beets and this recipe was so handy for using up some of the beetleaf greens. I really enjoyed this recipe. The only change I made was to add 2 pre-cooked organic chicken sausages, sliced, along with the garlic (DH likes some meat at dinner). I also seasoned it with crushed red pepper flakes. Definitely don't skimp on the garlic - the 4 sliced cloves add a lot of flavor. I used a chunky tomato sauce and the combination of the tomatoes with the greens was lovely and looked very appetizing.