Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from an old Lithuanian cookbook. Takes 11 days to make with standing time and fermentation time.
- Pare and quarter beets.
- Boil in water till tender.
- LET STAND 24 HOURS.
- Remove beets.
- Add enough water to make one full gallon of liquid.
- Add sugar and pepper.
- Boil 10 minutes.
- Strain through cloth into clay crock.
- Spread yeast on a slice of bread which has been thoroughly dried in the oven.
- Place in lukewarm liquid.
- Let ferment 10 days.
- Do not cork tightly.