Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from my good ole standby recipe book from Good Housekeeping. It is easy to make and the beet topping is creamy and sweet. I have adapted it somewhat adding spices (because I've always loved pickled beets!)
- 1 (8 ounce) candiced red beets, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, cold or 1 (8 ounce) bagprepared lettuce, salad cold
- Thoroughly drain beets, reserving liquid.
- Mash beets slightly with a fork.
- Stir in mayonnaise, horseradish and spices to taste. Add beet juice if desired to make the mixture of desired consistancy. Cut head lettuce into 6 wedges or assemble prepared lettuce salad on a plate. Spoon beet mixture over wedges or down the middle of the salad plate. Serve right away or chill for a short time.