Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A nut and oat based veggie burger, apparently won $500 in a contest and really sticks together even on a grill. The original website is no longer running, but this recipe still floats around on the internet.
- 1 tablespoon finely grated raw beet
- 1⁄2 cup cooked oats (quick or regular rolled oats)
- 1 cup oats (quick or regular rolled oats)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegix seasoning or 1 tablespoon instant vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Mix all together until the beets make it pinkish all the way through.
- Grill, fry or cook all the way through as one would a burger.
I really liked this. We are omnivores so a vegan might actually like this more than we did. I used some leftover cooked irish cut oats instead of the cooked rolled oats which I think worked well. I grated the beets with the fine grater that I have for ginger. (So glad I thought of that!) Didn't have any basil so used italian herb blend. I was tempted to add an egg since going vegan wasn't really my point tonight but refrained since I knew that the recipe still needed a review so I wanted to do it justice. I don't think it would be easy to grill these without perhaps freezing the patties so they don't crumble. The first patty that I put on the skillet turned the best. I had formed it well with my hand. The others I did while distracted and had more trouble with them crumbling (fed to my dear toddler). I was concerned about the beet but it is really just there for color. The flavor didn't come thru which is good because hubby would not have touched it if he knew there was beet! BTW hubby asked for 2nds (there wasn't any) and 5yr old daughter also approved. Toddler didn't touch hers!